Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Dog Wears a Diaper

Warning! The following blog post involves graphic and horribly vivid details about canine menstruation! Enjoy!

I get a lot of emails from people who visit my online t-shirt shop asking me about the dog in a diaper design, especially since the image is also prominently dispalayed on the website's banner. People also want to know if that is actually my dog or just a stock photo. Well, here's the scoop:

Yes, that is my dog. Her name is "Witashnah" which is a Native American word meaning "virgin" and which is also what she will always remain. My wife and I took her in as a puppy about 5 years ago. She had been - in true cartoon style - stuffed into a sack with the rest of her litter and thrown into a river. Luckily, the sack just happened to be found by a couple who - no joke - breed dogs for a living. So, not only were the pups taken very good care of, they were given all of their necessary shots.

Witashnah the dog and Yule the cat.

A year later things were very busy for the wife and I. We were building a new house so we could finally get out of the city and we were both in career transistions. At last the house was built and we moved in. Soon after that we realized, in our frantic busy state, we had never taken the time to have Witashnah fixed. We realized this because she went into heat and started spotting our brand new white carpet with bright red...stuff. So, in a panic we quickly wrapped her hind end in a pair of boxer shorts. These immediately fell off and we had to opt for a white t-shirt large enough to tie around her waist.

It was also around this time that I was setting up the WarehouseLarry t-shirt store. I had made a lot of progress on the site design, but hadn't actually come up with any shirt designs...and then Witashnah came prancing into my office with her saggy little homemade diaper and - BAM! - inspiration hit. I snapped a picture and 15 minutes later had the first shirt design done. As you can see, she even smiled for the camera.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.