Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Lot of my Friends are Musical Geniuses: Part 1

So am I , of course, but this has been well documented and spoken about, especially by my wife. Sometimes I'll write some bit of music that I'm sure totally sucks donkey taint and my wife will reassure me that, no, it's complete and utter musical genius and the lawn really needs a good mowing! And as I'm mowing the lawn I'm thinking, "my wife must be right...surely she wouldn't marry a talentless hack!" It's usually at this point that I inadvertently mow over a lump of dried dog doo and find myself in a thick haze of gray poop powder.

At any rate, I thought I would dedicate this post to a few of my musical genius friends:



Jon English - Jon is a one man musical dynamo, and much like a real dynamo he can produce electricity if he's wrapped in copper wire and spun around in a giant magnet. Not only does Jon write and perform some of the greatest music this side of the mason dixon line (wherever that is) he is also a fantastic recording engineer. What's really impressive about Jon's ability to produce very good quality recordings from his little home studio, is that the equipment and software in his home studio is all cheap or free. In some cases he literally just jams a guitar cable into a picture of a piece of equipment torn from a magazine. We were in a band together once called Plow Monday.



Litany for the Departed - This is my buddy Mike's band. They are what the kids call "heavy metal". They are angry all the time. Sure, if you talk to them individually you'll see that they are very nice people who would likely do anything to help a guy out, but when you get them together they tend to set things on fire and suddenly there are battle axes jutting from people's skulls. Mike and I were in a two man acoustic extravaganza for the senses...well, the hearing sense...called Always the Fall. We were angry too, but being acoustic, we were generally subdued about it. We wielded Nerf battle axes.



The Wartime Social - My old pal Ryan is the front man of this band. We were in a band together once called Plow Monday. Ryan is not only a really good guitar player and songwriter, but he is an astoundingly good singer. This does not go unnoticed by the females of our species who tend to clamor over him like flies on a Ugandan infant. Ryan's the third guy from the front in the photo...kind of an odd place for a FRONT man.


7 comments:

Sean Claes said...

Hey Clif,
Thanks for the kudos for my Kyle Daily Photo. I seem to recall seeing Plow Monday at some point in San Marcos... perhaps y'all played Triple Crown?

I'm an entertainment writer too... so your musical friends blog is pretty cool.

I've been meaning to get out and see Wartime Social.

Nautical Home Decor said...

Man I like your post and it is so good and I am definitely going to save it. One thing to say the In-depth analysis this article has is truly remarkable. No one goes that extra mile these days? Bravo!! Just one more tip you can get a Translator for your Worldwide Audience !!!

Fort Lauderdale criminal lawyer said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

online auctions said...

Interesting and important information. It is really beneficial for us. Thanks

WMUD962G said...

Interesting layout on your blog. I really enjoyed reading it and also I will be back to read more in the future.

Vancouver Internet Marketing said...

I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material.

Miranda Kerr Workout said...

Thanks for such a nice information and very greatness blog. I need to share with my friends. Keep it up dear.......