Saturday, November 10, 2007

A Lot of My Friends are Musical Geniuses: Part 2

Here's part 2 of my friends who are musical geniuses. Now, keep in mind that this is not just biased assessment I present here. I'm not simply noting these folks because they are "my friends" or because I "owe them money" or anything. I am blogging about these folks because they are...musical geniuses. They are the Einsteins of music, the Ben Franklins of music, and the Orville Redenbacher's of music! These guys can split the atom with a single note!


Michael Swanson - We used to call Michael "Bobbo" back when he first joined Plow Monday...when he was a nice, quiet guy who didn't rock the boat but only rocked the bass. Now we call him "Michael" because he's so goddamn ripped and so goddamn good on the bass - light years from where's ever been - that, well, we fear him! Plow Monday had a little spur-of-the-moment reunion gig a couple of weeks ago and it's only thanks to Michael that my head didn't burst into flames...I was so lost playing some of these old songs I barely remember that only Michael's thumping, steady, consistent bassline kept me on target!


Brobdingnagian Bards - Brobdingnagian Bards are, by far, the coolest traditional Celtic duo around. Yeah, that's saying a hell of a lot, but these guys are on the ball like no other traditional Celtic duo around. And they have a sense of humor! It's not all bog mummies and plagues with them. They have an entire album called "Irish Drinking songs for Cat Lovers"...!!!! How, oh HOW, can you NOT love that shit?! Check out Brobdingnagian Bards and I swear by the next day you will be carving crop circles into your neighbor's lawn that very night and walking nine times widdershins 'round the nearest faerie mound hoping the little buggers have drinks ready!


No comments: